SUPPORT GROUP FOR MEN
by Ellen Fairey
Directed by Jeff Adler
Every Thursday is Guys’ Night for a small group of friends who gather to vent – with a “No Ladies” policy strictly enforced. Passing a baseball bat as a “talking stick”, this motley crew of men support each other through stalled careers, dashed romances, and a fast-changing world. When an unexpected visitor crashes the party, their notions of what it means to be a man in today’s America are suddenly upended. Don’t miss this hilarious comedy by Ellen Fairey, whose work has been hailed “a must-see for anyone who follows important new plays.” (Chicago Tribune)
Pictured: Evan Bergman, Louis Kyper, Sariel Toribio, Marcus Hopkins-Turner • Photo: Greg Mooney
“surprising grace and beaucoup laughs… is an easy recommendation for date night, guys’ night or simply any theater aficionado”
-The Atlanta 100
“Well-crafted and very funny comedy of manners, specifically the manners of the male of Species Homo Americanus, youthful to mid-life”
“A deeply sympathetic portrayal of men in the midst of rapidly changing expectations”
“A theatrical ride as clever as it is…poignant and authentic”
-Chicago on the Aisle
“The laughs are nearly constant, everyone is affirmed, frequently with a “slap/clap/chest thump/grunt,” and there are happy endings for all, including the audience.”
“A gem of a play perfect for our time….A sincere examination of what it means to be a man in this confusing era. In an era when gender and sexuality are suddenly malleable, these men are doing their best to deal with their realities and the realities of our time. They are a pleasure to share ninety minutes with.” –Chicago Onstage.com
APR 21-MAY 28, 2023
Press Opening: APR 28
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at 8:00 PM
Saturday at 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Sunday at 5:00 PM
THIS PLAY LASTS 90 MINUTES WITH NO INTERMISSION.
Tickets start at $30 on Wednesdays & Thursdays, $35 for Friday nights, Saturday nights, and weekend matinees. Reserve now for best prices! Prices will increase as the run continues.
Student tickets available for $20. Contact our box office to place an order.
Bring your neighbors!
Group pricing is available for parties of 10+. Groups of 10-24 receive $3 off the general admission ticket price. Groups of 25+ receive $5 off the general admission ticket price. Call 404.523.1477 x100 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Ticket prices are subject to change. Buy early for best pricing. Internet convenience fee added to all online orders. No refunds, exchanges, or late seating. Cannot combine discount offers.
Cast & Creatives
(click on an actor’s name for their bio)
- Evan Bergman* (Roger)
- Brad Brinkley* (Nowak)
- Kelly Criss (Caruso)
- Suehyla E. Young (Caruso)
- Marcus Hopkins-Turner* (Delano)
- Louis Kyper (Brian)
- Roberto Méndez (Alex)
- Sariel Toribio (Kevin)
- Chuck Morris (Roger/Brian understudy)
- Chayton Pabich Danyla (Alex understudy)
- Director: Jeff Adler
- Asst. Director: Matt Mercurio
- Stage Manager: Barbara Gantt O’Haley*
- Scenic Designers: Isabel and Moriah Curley-Clay
- Costume Designer: Dr. L. Nyrobi N. Moss
- Co-Lighting Designers: Mary Parker • David Reingold
- Sound Designer: Dan Bauman
*member of Actors’ Equity Association
Reviews & Press
- ATLANTA THEATRE BUZZ: “The Guys”
- AJC REVIEW: “Horizon Theatre subverts the usual men’s group dynamic”
- Podcast interview with the playwright and the director of the Goodman Theatre world premiere: FEMINIST CRUSH-For playwright Ellen Fairey and director Kimberly Senior, aging and ageism, the evolution of gender roles, and the need for safe spaces to express our anxieties about an ever-changing world take center stage in the Goodman Theatre’s New Stages Festival production of Support Group for Men.