“Get ready for a big bruising play of the conflicting ideas and emotions roiling at the center of this debate.” -Mercury News
In turns shocking, humorous and poignant, Roe reflects the fierce debate over Roe vs. Wade through the personal journeys of Norma McCorvey (“Jane Roe”) and Sarah Weddington, the lawyer who argued the landmark case at the Supreme Court. This historically sweeping play cuts through the headlines to reveal the twists and turns in the amazing stories of Norma and Sarah in the years leading up to and following the fateful decision.
SHOW SPONSORS: Nancy & Bill Yang
MAY 19-JUNE 12, 2022
Wednesday – Friday at 8:00 PM
Saturday at 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Sunday at 5:00 PM
About the Playwright
LISA LOOMER is an American Theater Critics Award-winning playwright. New York productions include The Waiting Room (Vineyard Theatre); Living Out (Second Stage Theater) and Distracted (Roundabout Theatre Company). Regional theater productions include Roe (Goodman Theatre, Arena Stage, Oregon Shakespeare Festival); Homefree (Denver Center for the Performing Arts); Expecting Isabel (Arena Stage, The Mark Taper Forum); Bocón (The Kennedy Center, Seattle Repertory Theatre, La Jolla Playhouse, Mexico and Europe) and Two Things You Don’t Talk About (Denver Center for the Performing Arts). Loomer has won the Pen Award, Jane Chambers Award, Imagen Award and Susan Smith Blackburn Prize. She is a supervising producer for Season Two of Love Is… on OWN. Films include Girl, Interrupted and Nappily Ever After for Netflix. Lisa has written TV pilots for HBO, CBS, Fox, and Showtime.
- Lisa Adler, Director
- Isabel Curley-Clay and Moriah Curley-Clay, Scenic Designers
- Jordan Jaked Carrier, Costume Designer
- Mary Parker, Lighting Designer
- Johnathan Taylor, Sound Designer
- Kimberly Binns, Projection Designer
- Carolyn Cook, Dialect Coach
- Julianna M. Lee*, Production Stage Manager
- Dionna D. Davis, Asst. Stage Manager/Co-Props Master
- Lauren Morris, Dramaturg and Community Engagement Manager
*Member of Actor’s Equity Association
- JEFF McKERLEY*: Henry McCluskey, Robert Flowers, Ensemble Alternate/Blackmun Swing
- KATIE CAUSEY: Norma McCorvey Swing
- KYLA CHENEIL: Aileen/Barbara/Roxy Swing
- ZACH STOLZ: Male Swing
Related Press & Reviews
- It’s Just Us Radio Show with Charlene S. Bowden: Featuring Lisa Adler, Lauren Morris and several members of the cast
- AJC: Horizon Theatre Stages “Roe” as Decision Faces Reversal
- WRITING ROE: An article about Oregon Shakespeare Company commissioning this play
- Chicago Tribune: Lisa Loomer’s ROE wants to honor both sides of the abortion debate.
- The New Yorker: A Play About Roe v. Wade That is a Parable of an Exclusionary Women’s Movement
- The Guardian: Telling the story behind Roe v. Wade
- Vox.com: How We Got Here: Roe v. Wade from 1973 to Today
- Vox.com: Where will abortion still be legal after Roe v. Wade is overturned?
- U.S. News & World Report: Four Decades Ago, U.S. News Barely Acknowledged Roe v. Wade
MAY 21, following the 3PM MATINEE!
- Monday, MAY 23 • 7PM on ZOOM: Choice: An Examination of Real Options for People Facing Unintended Pregnancy • PANELISTS: Jamie Manson (President, Catholics for Choice); Dr. Roger Rochat MD, MPH (CDC, Emory); Kwajelyn Jackson (Feminist Women’s Health Center)
- Sunday, JUNE 5 • 7:45PM at Horizon, following 5PM Matinee: Maternal Health: Options and Outcomes for Those Who Choose to Carry a Pregnancy to Term • PANELISTS: Megan Gordon-Kane (Feminist Women’s Health Center); Dr. Lasha Clarke (Morehouse School of Medicine)
- Saturday, JUNE 11 • 5:45PM at Horizon, following 3PM Matinee: Georgia’s Legislative Landscape and the Heartbeat Bill • PANELISTS: Dabney P. Evans, Subasri Narasimhan
- Sunday, JUNE 12 • 7:45PM at Horizon, following 5PM Matinee: Drivers and Solutions for Unintended Pregnancy Post Roe v. Wade • PANELIST: Lisa Haddad (Population Council)