by Gloria Bond Clunie
July 12-Aug 25, 2019 (Press Opening: July 12)
All Hell (And A Little Bit Of Heaven) Are About To Break Loose!
All hell and a little bit of heaven breaks loose when Elijah Beckford, a prominent southern black undertaker, approaches his wealthy white cousin, Charlie Beckford, and demands to be buried in the “family cemetery.” When the two patriarchs go head to head, the wives and children are dragged into the fray, and the two families battle it out with comic consequences in this award-winning play.
Funny, irreverent and topical, Sweet Water Taste features some of Atlanta’s best actors and Horizon favorites in this Atlanta premiere. It’s a contemporary tale inspired by the antics of our ancestors and a controversy that has been raging for 200 years (think Sally Hemings/Thomas Jefferson). If you’ve loved previous summer productions from director Thomas W. Jones II (Blackberry Daze, Da’ Kink In My Hair), you’ll be thrilled with this Southern ensemble story about two branches of a family tree unexpectedly carving out their future.
Length & Content
Sweet Water Taste has a run time of 2 hours & 10 minutes with one intermission.
Sweet Water Taste is recommended for ages 13 and older.
Handicap seating limited for this production. Please call to reserve if needed.
Wednesday – Friday at 8:00 PM
Saturday at 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Sunday at 5:00 PM
MATINEE – Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 11:00 AM
- Tickets start at $30 on Wednesdays & Thursdays, and $35 on weekends.
- Prices are subject to change and will rise as performances fill up.
- GET YOUR TICKETS EARLY FOR THE BEST PRICES.
Bring your neighbors!
Group pricing is available for parties of 10+. Groups of 10-24 receive $3 off the general admission ticket price. Groups of 25+ receive $5 off the general admission ticket price. Call 404.523.1477 x100 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Ticket prices are subject to change. Buy early for best pricing. Internet convenience fee added to all online orders. No refunds, exchanges, or late seating. Cannot combine discount offers.
- Elijah Beckford: LaParee Young *
- Iola Beckford: Jen Harper *
- Nathan Beckford: Enoch King *
- Carrie / Bianca Beckford: Brittani Minnieweather
- Charlie Beckford: Chris Kayser *
- Elizabeth Beckford: Lala Cochran
- Charlieboy Beckford: Justin Walker
- u/s Elijah Beckford: Jay Jones
- u/s Nathan Beckford: Markell Williams
- u/s Charlieboy Beckford: Eric Lang
- Director: Thomas W. Jones II
- Scenic Designers: Moriah and Isabel Curley-Clay
- Costume Designer: Dr. L. Nyrobi Moss
- Lighting Designer: Mary Parker
- Sound Designer: Chris Lane
- Properties Designer: Alexis McKay
- Stage Manager: Joan Foster McCarty *
- Assistant Stage Manager: Kayla Zinke
* Member of Actors’ Equity Association
Gloria Bond Clunie is an award-winning playwright, director and educator. Clunie is a founding member of the Playwriting Ensemble at Chicago’s Regional Tony Award winning Victory Gardens Theater where her plays North Star, Living Green and Shoes premiered. She is also the founding Artistic Director of Evanston’s Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre. Other plays include SMOKE, Malindy, Sing!, Buck Naked, DRIP, Merry Kwanzaa, Mercy Rising and QUARK. Her plays have been workshopped and produced in a variety of theaters including Victory Gardens Theatre, Goodman Theatre, Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre, ETA, Alliance Theatre, Triad Stage, Her Story Theatre, MPAACT, Southern Appalachian Repertory Theatre, Penobscot Theatre and Orlando Shakespeare Theater. Originally from Henderson, North Carolina, she and her husband Basil live in Evanston, Illinois and are the proud parents of daughter Aurelia.
Production Images[COMING SOON]
- YOUTUBE: SWEET WATER TASTE: Director Thomas W. Jones II On The Play
- YOUTUBE: SWEET WATER TASTE: Team On Why It’s A Must See
Social Media Highlights
- BroadwayWorld ATL: Horizon Theatre Announces Summer Comedy SWEET WATER TASTE
- God 4B And Me: SWEET WATER TASTE at Horizon Theatre
- ArtsAtl: Horizon’s “Sweet Water Taste” sends up hypocrisies we’ll all recognize
- Atlanta Theatre Buzz: Sweet Water Taste is a good starting point for a conversation about race…laughter (and tears) are wonderful unifiers.
- Roamilicious.com: Sweet Water Taste – Award-Winning Play at Atlanta’s Horizon Theatre
- God4BandMe.com: Who Is In Your Lineage? Sweet Water Taste at Horizon Theatre Makes You Wonder
Inspiration For SWEET WATER TASTE
Playwright Gloria Bond Clunie was inspired to write SWEET WATER TASTE after reading an article in Time Magazine about Jefferson & Hemings. While the play is set in modern day, it is not hard to see the connection. Take a look below at some articles covering the topic:
- Time: Thomas Jefferson Gets Some New Kids
- NY Times: DNA Test Finds Evidence Of Jefferson Child by Slave
- LA Times: It’s Time To Recognize Sally Hemings As A First Lady
- Smithsonian Mag: Sally Hemings Gets Her Own Room at Monticello
- Wikipedia: Jefferson–Hemings Controversy