Horizon Theatre Company seeks an experienced, collaborative professional to assist in leading the theatre to the next level of growth. The Managing Director will partner with the Producing Director/Founder to implement the theatre’s vision and business strategies. The Managing Director will also represent the theatre to the business and philanthropic community.
The Managing Director role will give the right person the opportunity to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment bringing the theatre’s vision to life.
- Manage and lead the day-to-day activities of a team of 7-10 staff members, volunteers and interns
- Support a structured environment that encourages creative and productive output
- Create marketing and development strategies
- Develop workplans that enable staff members to execute plans on time and on budget
- Collaborate with diverse populations across functional disciplines
- Coach and mentor staff members ensuring they have the tools they need
- Write grants that support the overall mission and vision of the theatre
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Horizon Theatre Board
- Nurture and develop relationships with donors, corporate, foundation and civic leaders
- Recruit, hire and develop new staff members as needed
- Manage the office technology and physical space needs
- 6-8 years’ experience in a development, marketing and/or management position in a theatre or arts context
- A passion and energy for contemporary theatre and the arts industry as a whole
- A knowledge of the Metro Atlanta philanthropic community
- An ability to think strategically that includes a detail orientation
- A proven track record of developing positive teams in a sometimes chaotic or hectic environment
- An understanding of patron data collection methods and analysis seeking to grow and diversify audiences.
- Proven track record of effective fund raising, team building and collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of budgeting process
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience working in Quickbooks and Tessitura (or similar patron database software)
If this sounds like you … apply now by sending email and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (note Management Search in the subject line; include salary requirements in cover letter).
About Horizon Theatre: Now in its 34th season, Horizon is an acclaimed company known for its leadership in Atlanta’s arts community, artistic innovation and fiscal responsibility, and is committed to commissioning, developing and producing new work that serves our mission. Horizon has a $1.2 million operating budget with no deficit and an operating reserve fund, serves 40,000 annually and is housed in an arts facility that includes our 175-seat theatre. Partnerships are a major part of our business strategy and include the Atlanta Intown Theatre Partnership, the National New Play Network and the Atlanta Children’s Theatre.