Status: Full-time Exempt
Horizon Theatre Company, a 32-year old, mid-sized contemporary theatre committed to commissioning, development, and production of new work in Atlanta, seeks a full-time Marketing/PR Manager. Qualified candidate will have 5 years experience and/or training in marketing, communications, and public relations, and have excellent writing and communication skills. Candidate should be flexible and have the ability to organize and execute a multi-faceted marketing campaign. Other qualities/skills sought include: e-mail and social media marketing experience, strong computer experience (Word, Excel, Tessitura, digital design/publishing), video editing, art direction database; a strong interest or background in theatre; salesmanship; and interest in creative ways to reach audiences. Interested candidates should send a letter, resume, 3 references, a writing sample, and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Please put MARKETING SEARCH in the subject line. Documents attached should be Word compatible or PDF.
Overview of Duties: Plan, coordinate and direct all of Horizon’s sales, marketing and public relations.
Planning, Leadership, Goals
- Work with executive leadership on planning, coordinating, and directing all of Horizon’s marketing, public relations, sales and audience development.
- Generate audience for Horizon Theatre Company, meeting or exceeding ticket sales goals for each show by promoting and marketing Horizon’s plays and programs (including main stage and remount shows, off-night events, education programs, children’s theatre, and fundraising events).
- Maintain and increase Horizon’s subscriber base through subscription campaigns and regular communication with subscribers through e-mail, mail, phone and other methods.
- Maintain and increase the age and racial diversity of Horizon’s audience.
- Maintain high level of audience satisfaction and engagement with Horizon.
- Analyze past sales, advertising and marketing/pr campaigns to determine effectiveness of strategies used and recommend future action.
- Create and manage the calendar for the marketing/PR department, ensuring all deadlines are met by Horizon staff and contractors
- Manage apprentices, interns, volunteers, vendors and part-time staff as needed in executing marketing and public relations tasks. Recruit/hire/train such volunteer and paid staff as needed.
Sales, Marketing, Promotions
- Generate marketing/sales/promotion/PR plan for each show and project (after planning with theatre leadership) and for Horizon’s institutional growth with guidance of executive leadership and input from staff and artists.
- Develop and execute strategies to reach specific targeted audiences for each show and program.
- Create and implement weekly (or more frequent) updates to the plan to reach weekly sales goals.
- Manage all relationships with all third party ticket vendors who are marketing partners
- Manage the design, copy writing, printing and distribution of all collateral materials (print and electronic mailers, flyers, posters, ads, playbills, and billboards) in conjunction with the graphic designer and vendors.
- Manage the placement and execution of all print and electronic advertising (paid, pro bono, sponsorship)
- Manage publicity photo and video shoots, securing and supervising needed talent
- Secure group sales and promotions for all Horizon plays, as well as maintain group sales database with current contact information.
- Secure non-profit, business and media partners or other methods to fill houses for Preview performances.
- Create new partnerships with individuals, small businesses, corporations, and foundations that are essential to furthering the Marketing and Development goals of the theatre.
- Maintain an e-marketing program including creation of weekly e-blasts, social media, and web presence for Horizon.
- Supervise and maintain updated content on website.
- Create all press releases, calendar listings, news articles and radio/TV announcements
- Secure press and media coverage for all Horizon plays, events, and activities.
- Organize and document all sales, marketing, and public relations activities, including:
- Maintain an electronic and paper archive of all reviews, articles and significant press mentions for the theatre
- Maintain accurate records of contacts made and results for each show.
- Coordinate the Community Engagement activities, displays, and volunteers for each production.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Organize and document all Marketing and PR activities.
- Work with the administrative staff to create and maintain customer service policies and procedures.
- Maintaining relationships with press and media, marketing volunteers, community partners and group and organizational leaders.
- Participate in “staff duty” several weekday evenings during the run of each show.
- Serve as a member of the Horizon Theatre Company staff by participating in special events, Opening Night Parties, and PR events.
- Sell tickets when needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.